Pages

22 February 2014

reasoning

An article by Jonathan Haidt, Or rather a blog makes very good points about how we argue or discuss things.
http://www.thisviewoflife.com/index.php/magazine/articles/why-sam-harris-is-unlikely-to-change-his-mind10

"we reason quite well when we want to find the right answer like for example is it better to drive or take the train, but when emotions get involved we reason to prove ourselves right" like the reasoning of a lawyer trying to win a case he says :)

That is sooo true!!!
When reading a discussion about GM crops, I asked myself, Am I ready to find the right answer or Am I already convinced that GM companies are evil and are raping mother nature? Answer, not surprisingly, is I am emotional about the issue and I will read only those arguments which support my view and laugh at or get outraged by arguments which oppose my view.
Discussion about Gay rights- Is there any possibility that any argument in those forums will be able to convince me that being gay is wrong? hmmm I dont think so! It may be socially great attitude but its not scientific...( understand why some people think being gay is wrong...you dont have to buy into their argument .you can just start seeing why they think the way they think. Start seeing their mental blocks. This will help me to not get outraged? This is easier said than done! )

Reason mostly is slave to emotions. may be asking this question - Am I really ready to find the truth or Do I want to prove myself right ?  may help us open up and use the actual reason which may allow us to find the right answer?


No comments:

Post a Comment