Pages

11 March 2014

morality and disgust

This is from Moralities course on coursera.
We always mistake disgusting for morally wrong :D haha it was so hard for me to say it is not wrong as I was disgusted with it.
One man gets a chicken ( not live, meat) from super market has sex with it and then cooks it and eats it. Is it wrong? ewww ! its disgusting. But is it wrong! no... :D
same with the incest case.
like I said in another case - logically I may treat it as ok, but I am still disgusted. not so much with consensual incest, That horrid novel where a guy committed suicide cause his wife turned out to be his half sister..and I was outraged by the suicide. ( somehow its like women committing suicide after rape in hindi movies. it infuriated me even when I was little ( like 10/12) its surprising how much gets thru to young minds. may be my morality holds suicide as very wrong.  Like he said Most conservative people give lot of importance to honour and purity over harm . I actually got disgusted with honour and purity even as a lil kid, hold those values as very low compared to harm. so me an kinda natural liberal.

Also he talked about disgust scale. Some people are naturally more prone to disgust than others. so this sometimes determines ur attitude to homosexuality,inter-racial marriage  and whether u are in general conservative or liberal! ah! may be when I take so much pride in being liberal. it may be just because I am not that disgust sensitive. I was fundamentalist about a lot of things, I think that came from ideology and not disgust. So may be I m more libreral than many people because my nose isnt that sensitive. I think if u have a very sensitive nose u get disgusted very easily :-P that was a joke, but seriously may be I dont feel that strongly about incest at all like some other people would feel which may be directly related to me feeling relatively less disgusted with blood and pus and dirty toilets or a dead body.

Also he said most people answered all those questions as wrong because they were disgusting except for some very liberal students from elitist universities. do I see myself as elitist and so I say its all not wrong?

I noticed that disgust lingers. like he said in the example that people very less tolerant after being disgusted by fart smell. I felt that my disgust lingered after seeing one disgusting picture and I almost rated the next pictures as more gross that I would feel generally.

Wonder why cockroaches positively disgust me to death :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment