Pages

5 February 2017

confused priority of our times

Rani Padmini was( may be) insulted and a film producer was slapped.
Sashikala has become the PM of TamilNadu.
Trumph has become the President of US and is bringing in, laws against the environment.
There was an attack on a mosque in Quebec by a French man, 4 people were killed.
There was a knife attack by a Muslim man in Paris and he was shot dead by soldiers.

I have an opinion about all these, and I wasted a lot of time expressing it on social media.
The point is, the priority I give to each of these is directly proportional to how much coverage it gets in social media. If my friend list people post something reactionary on this, I react.
The intensity of my reaction is not at all dependent on how important that issue is,  it is more of a reaction to what is happening on facebook and watsapp. 
Its not just me, Everyone is swaying with the tides of social media viral posts. No one is sailing with any purpose or direction. It is so easy to manipulate the poor souls ( including me , ok me a little harder Cynical B that I am :D )
For example, no body talked about or cared about the Quebec Canada shooting, except some Canadian friends liking a few sympathy posts, no for-against debates, no controversy, nothing. So I didnt react to it at all.
But a similar shooting of normal people by in Paris has caused a huge hue and cry and people changed profile picture to France flag, Why no Je sui Quebec Mosque victims? That is not the point.

Shouldn't we pick and chose our battles rather than let our energy be diluted by giving equal importance to each and every new item. In the context of things, How important is the Padmini issue? I have wasted thoughts and words on it. How many news bites were wasted on it? It is totally irrelevant to me.

In one of the courses I went, they asked us to question things when we got upset, Will I care about this incident in 5 days? In 5 months?  in 5 years? If the question to atleast first 2 questions is no, is there really any point in getting upset about it?
May be same kind of filter should be applied to the news issues as well, 

Along with that, How much can I care about? Earth is huge and there are problems in all corners. so How do I filter that? 

What I see as the most eminent problem and most important issue is exactly this, the ease with which people are swayed and manipulated, the lack of self awareness among us and our reactionary nature. Nothing, Nothing else is a bigger problem than this. 
So - at most priority should be given to mindfulness of myself and work towards it? Try to notice and observe my reactions towards these and continue on this life. Thats what I should do. 
Others peoples awareness? We will see. I cant tackle that without being aware first.

1 comment:

  1. There is always bad happening in the World at the same time as good happening. If only media high lighted the good things, the world would be doing more good. As they highlight a lot of bad things happening, people tend to prove they are right in their opinion. But can they fix the bad happening? Maybe not. Some news is worth to be ignored.

    ReplyDelete