Pages

13 February 2009

Browsers and browsers and browsers

After using Ie6 for years and years .. and never realizing what I was missing...  
one sleepy morning ... I was caught by the browser bug!!  I tried almost all of them :D
So here's how they fare...
All of them are better than Ie6.  un-comparably better :D
All of them support tabs, the search bar,bookmarks bar,private browsing, Spell check in the text boxes... (Ie6 or even 7 dont do that!) . Things so basic I cant believe I  lived without them for soooooooooooooooooo long! Shame !!

so here  I go..

Google chrome 
 It was a beta version. Hung too much, no status bar.. so, just chucked it out.  Visual bookmarks, remembering previous links- 9 of them - that was good.

Mozilla Firefox 
Memory guzzler!! otherwise its great. Best part is, it imported all my favorites automatically from IE! on installation! niiiiiiiiiice!!! 
It has this tiny little customizable tool bar on which u put ur book mark icons! I loved that. I didn't use it for long cause it took up so much memroy! Safari uses less memory than Mozilla? I dono, but It definitely doesnot disrupt and slow down my other applications which firefox did ! so .. out went firefox. 
Opera and Safari have all that Mozilla has, and more... 

Ie7 
 When Id tried all the rest I had to try this one. He's like an awkward oaf in the midst of the sleek ladies :D He has all the basic features tabs, search and...  is compatible with office intranet. but the UI ... half the screen is taken up ugly tabs and they stay even if u have only one tab.  ... Out he went.. [  He's back again ... for the intranet!! :-( ]

Opera
     Fast- Fastest. Runs on very  less memory, So light on ur CPU. Visual book marks( yeah much before Chrome I guess) Supports skins.... Lovely ones too... bookmark tab. some easy scroll and tab switching features with the mouse( if you hold u'r mouse down and move right , the next tab is selected or something like that) Very feature rich - A bit too feature rich actually - makes it a bit cluttered.
All tabs  can be minimized and seen in one screen I loved this feature. Safari should have this one! thats the only thing missing in safari. All in all I wud say the best of the lot... Still I went in for Safari :)

Safari
seduced me I must say! sleek sleek sleek,  I couldnt resist the mac UI, sleek tiny tabs, the cute blue translucent scroll bars , check boxes and buttons. cute! subtle animations..
Anti aliases the fonts so that they look smooth ... oooooooooooh  l love it. ( i guess ie7 also does this..) You can pull out a tab from the tab bar into a new window and everything, its apple after all.  Anyway I was so taken by the sleekness I spent a good whole week on skinning my windows to mac :D I got somewhere with that too, but I guess that does affect the performace so I am back to XP skin now :( sigh! but cool dock bar and the cool wall papers stay. 
But I must say, its not all that stable. Hangs on gmail quite regularly :-( And on the higher side on memory. and options are a lil less, I dono what exactly I missing but I want more options :D

So the verdict is, Opera!! Opera for all. unless u are a sleek freak like me :D



No comments:

Post a Comment