Pages

28 June 2011

Genie

Once upon a time there was a merchant in Persia..you know how it was in Persian in those days.. he found a lamp and he rubbed it and Voila!! Genie!! this was not the 3 wishes regular genie tho.. He said I will grant u thousand wishes master.. or more! There is no limit !
Wonderful!!!
but! But! he said ( there is always a but! no?) but you cannot let me sit idle for even a moment. As long as you have me occupied, as long as you have work for me, you are safe(!!!!) As soon as I run out of work I m going to eat you and I will be free...
and the story continues in many ways... always happy ending with merchant winning, some say merchant asked Genie to count the number of grains in the desert, some say he asked the genie to build a long pole pour oil on it and them climb it, as soon as he climbed up , he slid down and was thus occupied for ever. ( somewhat like that cursed greek mythology guy who had to haul a rock up the hill only to throw it down. but not quite  )

I wonder if this Genie is an Allegory for our restless minds? and dont we, very much like the merchant give our genie - the mind some toy, some puzzle and useless repetitive task just so that it is occupied and does not bother us?

No comments:

Post a Comment