Pages

20 June 2011

I hate Biology??

Do what you love.

I am reading J Krishnamurthy, he has written a book for students (I dono how much of that students can really follow!!)

He says the main aim of our education system should be to help everyone find out what they really love. How correct!!!!! and how far away we still are from there. ( my alter ego- the stupid left brain thinker is asking, if everyone really does love something, Will everyone really find something they love and which will make money?? It is also asking if u will find someone who will love cleaning toilets and sweeping roads. If u dont who will. but I will explain to him( this stupid alter ego must be male :P) about how Americans thought slavery was absolutely necessary for exactly same kind of reasons.. later.)

In 8th standard, they were teaching us about types of leaves and plants and flowers. Our teacher asked us to make a chart with examples of different types of plants.. everyone made it on an a chart sheet, My collection was so huge, I had made it out of a bundle of sheets. I was guilty to buy new ones( Frugality?!!) so I had used my uncle's old drawing sheets to do it.

My teacher didnt see my passion, all she saw was that I had made the chart out of old brown sheets!!! Sorry - not good for display! Stupid woman!!! But I agree it was quite shabby out of old 1970’s Engnieering graphics sheets from my uncles engineering days! Ah those days when we tore out empty and one sided sheets out of our class notebooks to make the rough note book. (Recycling my ass!! These new age pretend recyclers cant hold a candle to our parents.)

My parents didnt too... Engineering and computers... actually it didnt help that I was so good at programming, almost a natural. There is a thin line between being good at something and being passionate! When u are good at something, u do want to do it again and agian and u soon mistake it to be love :D

My mum has not seen her own passion. She would have made the same chart out of 40 sheets. she loves plants... the tiny microscopic flowers in the road side, who else but me and mum will notice them and think they are beautiful? but she does not know. She didn’t teach me as such but somehow we both have the same habits. I think its her stories when we were kids about all those big brown fruits being filled with Sambar rice and Hurlikai palya and Kappa! :-) and she explained so much in detail about the tamarind tree, its new blooms, how they ate them. she has actually talked very beautifully about her childhood. Dad is a very good story teller. We have cassettes of that. When recording mom used to be worst story teller :D She used to read out horrible stories. But the other stories she used to tell, half from chandamama and half her own and stories of her childhood. That’s why balu mama is such a big hit with me!

My neighbours kids ask me if I am a Vet. They ask me Why amnt I? My count of picking up stray pups and kittens would be atleast 20. Ah! I didnt think of that when I was in 12th. I was focued on avoiding biology!! I dont want to be doctor! I want to be a engineer! If I do well in Bio I may be forced to be a doc!! How about a Vet? that option never cropped up!!

But without studying Bio seriously, scored more in Bio than Maths. Ive always pretended I love Maths.. I think I was just good at maths and I actually loved Bio. I advised people - Biology is very easy. U can pass without studying for it. My bro flunked his frist test because of that !:-D :) LOL! Bio was not easy, I just listened to my lectures so intently in Bio and I loved it, wasn't that why it was easy for me?? Was I totally blind? I used to read up chapters in Bio text book ahead of their completion when I was eating!!!! just for fun!!!

Thank god I didn’t imagine I was in love with organic chemistry or something! I was good at that too. J

Those neighbors' kids are so perceptive! now I think our civilazation is reaching a point where kids when they grow up will starting thinking bout doign their calling? right?

When will I?

No comments:

Post a Comment