Pages

15 July 2011

Hesse

Read two books by Herrman Hesse  Demian and Peter Camenzind.. Ive read Siddharta before.. I like them.. At this point they seem more like fiction, like able fiction with a spiritual tinge.. more teenage angst like... I think Hesse has struggled a lot with what to make of morality and religion and everything... all 3 books have a similar theme. Ive felt this way at times, like I dont belong and I am different and whole world is going in a rut and all that.. but as I grow older ... Then Hesse wrote these novels in his 20's...When I had read Siddhartha a few years ago I had felt it to be very spiritual book.
Demian made me very curious about what Carl Jung is all about.. I will read him soon.. archetypes and Id and all that.. or was it Freud?  Ah I should read these two sometime.  but before that more Herrman Hesse :D
( I like his kinda dark and brooding world...? Or Its a matter of habit - I like to go into familiar worlds - Chronicles of Narnia.. I read one book. I stop and after a few days I feel  Whats up in Narnia these days.. same with Two and a half men.. I dont watch one day I  feel like ah something;s missing I didn't meet charlie today :-))
What really stuck me is that in all his women are just like a precious vase or a painting or something, like something to be kept in the museum and adored. I mean all Hesse characters love the women supposedly passionately but always from a distance :-) and the very close emotional bonds are all between the guys...
is this how it is with all early 19th century writers?  or is Herrman... Gay? or atleast he had a strong inclination.. I think.. :-)  I dono if I am corrupted by this society or what but I felt the same about Tintin too...( and others on the internet agree :D)  ... Sholay, all those 70's heros friendships... dont we speculate about that all... :) I do! ( Oh yeah I speculate about all the unmarried women writters of early 18th 19th century too)

In Maine Pyar Kiya there is this 'I love to HATE' dialogue - Ek Ladka or Ek Ladki kabhi dost nahi hoskte.. after 20 years today.. Ek Ladka and Ek Ladka bhi kabhi dost nahi hosakte ...:D  Karma!!!! :-)

-*- *-*-*- *-*-*- *-*-*- *-*-*- *-*-*- *-*-*- *-*-*- *-*-*- *-*-*- *-*-*- *-*-*- *-*-*- *-*-*- *-*-
I actually think I liked Demian and Peter C so much because, I read it along side 'Think on these things' by Jiddu K. It was like JK is telling youth to break away from patterns and society and ur own mind.. and think on their own and understand.... and there are these boys in the other book who are actually struggling with the same issues and trying to break away. These two fit in so beautifully. Awesome. Only when I finished JK book today I realised this :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment