Pages

1 July 2011

Nostalgia

Eragon makes me nostalgic for the good old days.I dono how but some writers create this world so well in our imaginatiosn..I think it happens when u resonate with whats being written..( sad tho that the Eragon part 3 has turned out so boring, I think the author had enough talent for just one book :-( )
Candle light and kerosine lamps being lit...Traders coming in in winder with their wares...
The old story teller telling stories in the middle of the town center..
This just took be back to mid 1970's. no, I wasnt even born but this period makes me nostalgic. When my mum ,my aunts were not married. They all stayed together, young girls - there was no TV,internet ... so wat did they do to pass time? after school/college? they knitted - embroidered- stitched.
they did house work - got water in pots , cooked on wood stoves.. rubokallu - it was used upto even early 90's! read novels in the afternoons, went to temple..giggled and talked with each other , visited neighbors...bitter sweet to imagine this.. its all so sweet and innocent and some what deprived.
Cut to 1980 when we were kids.. oil lamps during power cuts, summer holidays, cousins, family stories. I love love love those times when everyone sat togther and old stories were brought out... Rs house they talk to old funny stories..I really loved to hear of old days when granny and granpa and my uncle and dad were realy poor their hard ships. My mom and bro and their adventures.. every body used to pitch-in in those stories.. granma, uncle..aunts..all beds spread out on the ground and this idle chit chat. for them that was Nostalgia and for us stories! ah how I miss summer holidays and those innocent days...
Dharwad! I loved those old pillow covers and table clothes,old maxis stitched from old sarees, I especially loved my grand moms work... croquet mats, those cloth birds with bead work and chandeliers made with glass bars...It was all so much more beautiful because those were so old... real glass beads not cheap plastic ones. ah Grandma's place makes me so nostalgic.. old furniture..that small wall mirror which was lil too high for me.. with a lil draw at the bottom, I think I could just about reach the draw and peep into it, couldnt really look into the mirror :-) and the cradle :-D we have sat on it, 3 teenagers at a time.Cast Iron so it survived! Piles of old beds and bedsheets.. she kept it just for us, for holiday traffic :D I loved to jump on all that and make it fall... ah!! and under granny bed! Granpas tressures! ah how I loved to look at those! old christmas lights ( diwali lights really :D but there was that star in that....easter star) Akasha butti they called it..and very old cameras...and diamonds :D my aunts old jewellery...mossy smell in the house, high ceilings sky light .. I cant forget that pillar of light in the hall and kitchen...Old Chikku Trees, our Mountain inside the compound - big rock really, but it was huge at least 15 feet high - so mountain! and the other hill from which we could see the train...Tanga..colored chalk rocks mom called it matti kallu... yellow maroon pink.. ( Isle of wright has something similar) I love those days! 
DD just one channel but we waited like crazy for those choosen few serials... Giant Robot, Micky and Donald show, Spiderman I used to love sundays...starts off with Rangoli :) 8-9 break for breakfast brush teeth etc etc then Heman, Mahabharat, disney show, adventures of alladin and some such thing then lunch...boring afternoon movie which we didn't watch ... so sleep in the afternoon or play something then by street hawk, Spiderman etc then nice movie in the evening :) There was no weekend, there was only Sunday. Ads used to come only before and after the program not in between. what ever break was for the news :-)
Bathrooms with Hande's stone floors, totti - sometimes lot of wood and cockroaches in that wood. Now even bucket and jug are disappearing from the bathroom, my house- just shower and bath tub! all of us sleeping in one big all on the floor, no phones and cars at home. kids going by bus walk cycle to school.. things are changing so much... 
We are probably the generation which has seen most change in India. no, probably kids who were born 10 years earlier.. I feel sad for them, they spent their youth in the boring 80.. for us alteast the 90s were decent. we got best of both worlds.. grandmas, summer holidays ,climbing trees and running around on streets and everything and IT and the economic growth also..

No comments:

Post a Comment