Pages

9 August 2022

Well-being looks different from Weight loss.

I am doing good :-) 
This is rare for people and especially or me to admit unabashedly but here I am.
I need to say this to myself, I need to ascertain to myself that it's a good thing to not measure weight, because - Fucking hell!!  The pressure to fall into weight loss trap is IMMENSE! 

I have not missed yoga for last 2 and half months except for a day or 2 in the beginning. Weekly 7 days, thru vacations and weekends. And I have probably not lost any weight.  If I were measuring weight, I would have stopped after 4 weeks and moved on to Keto and strength training or running or given up frustrated complaining to my friends - "What ya! I never lose weight Whatever I do!! " and gone back to being Yo Yo.  

Yoga is for the mental well being, for the spiritual benefits  and also the physical well being - Not weight loss but physical well being, balance of hormones may be, improved flexibility so less aches and pains may be, better immune system may be, increased lung capacity and slower heart rate may be.  See - How we reduce all this to one parameter - weight loss. Isn't it sad? Haven't we gone mad to focus on one thing instead of the wholesome benefits some other changes may bring to us?
Also it fun! I can now do a head stand! I can take water from my mouth and bring it out of the nose - voluntarily. 

I fasted for 9 days aiming for 10. This would not be possible if I was measuring weight. Why not u ask?  Because the benefits of yoga and fasting are immense. better immunity, Appetite control, Mental strength, Spiritual cleansing, Physical cleansing .  I will not use it as a short cut or magic pill for weight loss. Then u reduce everything to one number on the scale. 

Along with this I have to do regular dancing and retreats for mental well being, for self acceptance. To free the mind of influences which are not in the direction which I want to go in. 

I m 100% sure weight stabilisation will come. I will be at a weight which is perfect for me, which may not be a loss or it may not be the instagram fashionista approved weight. But it will feel right and healthy. If we do the right things, why wont it happen? 

There may be overlaps, you may do similar things, but Well-being looks very different from Weight loss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment