Pages

5 May 2013

are tomboys lesbian?

what?! Yeah! that comes up often.

From my perspective of being a tomboy..
While I was growing up, I was gender agnostic, where as lesbians like girls - so they are definitely not agnostic about the gender of the person?
I so badly and genuinely wanted the world to not care about mine or any ones gender.
wouldnt it be nice?
I liked to climb trees ( like boys) and play with dolls( like girls)
I liked skirts but not sarees! Bright colors but not Zari, flowery but not lacy...
Definitely good at maths but not at languages...( I wonder if u refuse to fit into stereo types u end up being more different or because u are different, u refuse to fit into the stereo types. )
I dint like women and men sitting separately for lunch, it looks feminist. it may have taken a feminist turn but even when women are given special status I didnt like it.  erase all distinction between the sexes.
thats how a tomboy feels may be? or may be just me..
Thats also  very different from wanting to be a man or a boy! I have never felt like I wish I was born a boy! I have  felt many times I wish people didnt care If anyone was a boy or a girl.I hate the pink/blue distinction and all the "scientific" studies about girls being daft at maths and all.
[Thats so looser by the way!!(this is the feminist speaking) - girls going -oh its so easy for men! I wish I was a man, I have period cramps. Strangle them!! Especially girls who dont have any responsibilities.. while their boy counterparts are getting their sisters married, taking responsibilities for old parents,Shaving n  feeling insecure about not having a womb and not knowing if the child is really theirs,ever ;-)  etc :P 
Also using feminine charms gets my goat...again that must be the feminist streak.]

Thats different from fancying girls eh? Din like girls, Din like other tom boys either, they depreciated my USP ;-)

There is infact a test!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bem_Sex-Role_Inventory
In which I scored androgynous, just missed being nearly a man by a mark ;-)
The test is shit and so sexist, my blood is boiling.
Apparently u are a man if u are  insensitive  and woman if u are weak
willing to take a stand, being independent,willing to take risks,strong personality makes u a man
warm compassionate loving children and appeasing others makes u a woman

On further reading it turns out the test is not sexist but guess what? Ta-da! Our society is! and Gender test reflects gender roles as perceived or prescribed by the society(Western one I presume. Indian women are supposed to be strong and submissive! Or who will do the house work??!? , not weak and submissive like western women with their dishwashers and washing machines!)

So......are tomboys lesbian?
No.. not necessarily, Gender sexuality stereotypes, there are all kinds of combinations of personalities and traits .. for we are people and not stereo types.

No comments:

Post a Comment