Pages

1 December 2015

moralities of everyday life

Moralities of everyday life

What is it that I want to get out of this course what is it that I want to know?
What is morality?
What was right yesterday isn't right today.
What is right in one part of the world isn't in another. Teacher naming a teddy bear Mohamed , Whale hunting.
What was right for me in one circumstance is not in another.

Drinking - was wrong - immoral. I believed that strongly but it was circumstantial. People in India who drink, beat their wives, spoil their livers,behave like they have no control. This was wrong. Here in UK its okay to drink, Its socially cool to get drunk and talk about it the next day. No beating or spoiling of life happens to these people I have moulded my opinion to suit the country, Now drinking is normal. It is not an issue.

For How much money would I strangle a cat with my bare hands?
I would never!!!
but really today I don't need money.
What if.. I was in debt? I lost my job - nothing too serious but 100,000£ would allow me to stay in UK or go home. I would probably not do it...
What if it were a rat instead?
For how much money would I cut off a chickens head? I eat chicken everyday and for gods sake I eat eggs, break them too.
What if I had a disease and the medicine cost 10,000 Rs and I didn't have it? What if my child was sick or mother?
The morality of the situation changes dramatically. I would probably strangle a cat for a piece of bread, if I had 10000000 Rs but it was floods and there was absolutely no food.
Depends on what is coercing me ( is that the right word?)

Is morality based on the person or circumstance? ( clearly demonstrated in psychology class that it is more circumstance than person even tho instinctively most of us would think it is the person.

What do I want to get out of this class? I want to understand how I make these moral judgements? Is it moral to think of morality?
Would it be easier for me to decide what is right and wrong after this course? may be?
for example Syria. There are people who want to bomb and those who don't want US to interfere. What do I want. I dont know! I cant make a decision. which is moral?
There is a natural course of nature - where death and cruelty is part of life, and then humans are trying to suppress this . Death is not the worst thing. Death is absolutely necessary for life to go on. but.. Is it ever right to chose death over life? 

I also feel I am falling into a trap of morality and doing/not doing judging/not judging a few things. I want to understand, what is happening inside me. The working of the brain.
It is humbling this understanding, I feel what I was really proud of - my values  are all inherited. not self made at all, all my hobbies are inherited too.
Will this class and the other psychology classes help me understand the working of my brain? will they come in handy day to day?

It didn't, recently. There was a bin bag thrown on the street. I didn't pick it up because I was shy, I would do it if I was alone, by-stander effect. no one did it, so no one else would do it.. It was on every ones conscience, then finally the lady in front of me did it.  but I still hope.

I want to understand other people and their motivation. I m quick to judge. These days I may logically understand why someone is doing something. I want to do that more. These classes help me.
They also reinforce many conclusions I have had independently before. That's one of the best things :D

No comments:

Post a Comment