Pages

30 January 2011

Little women and werewolves...

Guess I am running out of great books and picking up these from the library...
I expected to read a comedy parody of little women when I picked up this book.. I read little women 15 years ago, may be long before.. when I was in the middle of classics craze... too sugary preachy too sweet.. self righteous. I was determined to not like it. I think almost every page I sighed oh! so cheezy.. :D
Little women and werewolves is not a parody, not a comedy either( tho sometimes I wonder if the author is making fun of the original plot :P exhibition of the amputees -after reading the full book, ya -I guess she is....she kinda sucks :P) Its like reading little women all over again .
and I am so surprised to see that when I am coming close to the pages where Laurie is going to propose to Jo and she is going to refuse.. I just cant get myself to go forward.. I am emotional :-( poor Jo :( I hate it that he will go and like that scheaming lil Amy later. I am heartbroken, When Beth dies, I am afraid Ill I cry again! I cant believe that this novel had touched me so deeply the last time around.. It is so cheezy and sugary! god, its almost unbearable with all the characters having nothing but good in them and all that.. but these good writers are really sneeky. They just sneek in and touch ur heart even when u are very well prepared to dislike their work?! and u wont even know it then. Lousia Alcott is a great writer.. it is so obvious - the added parts suck so badly...There are so many different levels or writings...even if u think u dont know and dont care much about language and the style of writing etc, I think we do feel the quality of writing.Arthur Clarke is good in all the books he wrote...J . K Rowling - Harry potter all books are good... I would think Arthyr clarke is way better... She is not as good as the classic writers but she's better than the twilight and the poison study ladies and Dan brown ,who were one book wonders and then started churning out the same things all over again and then there are writers of those M n B type books who totally suck.. so - wide variety of quality... I guess I need those low quality books to read when in the loo and just to fill those 5 - 10 mins u get here and there :D dont feel like using those for good books..
About little women - I relate to the girl Jo...Made me think of the author herself- its an autobiographical character after all.. I feel a dull ache in my heart.. Spinsterhood was a dream and the fate of old world feminists....I think ..I too belong to that group(old world feminist, I mean- not spinster :P).. and I am one of the last survivers of that group... they dont make girls like tat any more :-) Are those sentiments really valid in todays world I wonder... anyway... apparently intended Jo to be a spinster but her readers couldnt take it that she split up Jo and Laurie and that their fav character would be an old maid. So she brought in the odd German professor to be her husband.. I am surprised that I am one of those readers who is very disappointed that she split up Jo and Laurie and then paired him with that chit of a girl Amy! Grrr :) and I would be sadder if she was left to be old maid ( but the author in fact was one) Why? Do I also think being a spinster is sad then?!!! I dont like this sentiment in me!!! - I ve always thought that people can be quite happy and content without being married without children etc... Is it about her being a girl? no I would be just as sad if she married off Jo to someone and left the boy Laurie to be an Old bachelor.. but I dont feel sad about captain Haddock in Tintin do I? :-) May be if there was no Laurie at all in the book, If she was just happily writing books and staging plays and went on to not marry at all...ah! then I would not think it sad...hehe Hope I am not going all romantic at heart :D Grrr
Times have changed and today it is not necessary to be spinster to be all independent and a fiery author - I empathise with the women of those times - They did a bigger sacrifice to be different to follow their hearts...they had it harder - harsher society, harder finances/jobs harder to come by/more moulds to break...is that Harder or funner? a bigger challenge is bigger fun :)(I think those times lasted till about 1980's :) When I was younger I liked doing those things that annoyed people more. now people accept everything - even sadu aunts :) There is no fun for rebel without causes like me anymore sigh!:D
Its a book and just a story after all.. I m gonna pick it up and read now :P

No comments:

Post a Comment