Pages

19 March 2012

Mantras

(this is kinda random post)
Om mani padme hum - from tibetan incantatons mp3 from friend
Om Thrembakam yajamahe - this one just came to me? may be when I searched for Om joom, I found that, that was maha mrytuyunjaya mantra but full form was this one, This was also chanted at the end of yoga class, but I never got it then
Om joom saha maam palay palay saha joom om -astrologer, He says anger will come down, but from personal experience I think this is for good health.
Om namah shivaya Om - childhood one :) My parents ploy to keep kids quite during power cut, Do Tapas like Druva they used to say  and I will get a vara :D haha! but Druva must have worshiped Vishnu...my parents told me Om namah shivaya.. I say this when I am scared of ghosts also, funny My brother says Jai Bajarang bali :)
So ham - pranic healing. Ham-sa - It is the opposite of so hum, supposedly milder version.
Om bhur bhuvasvaha - most popular mantra :)  These days it is played everywhere. 1998 - A friend was offended that this mantra was chanted in a movie( Stupid movie Mohobatein), Apparently it should nt be chanted by women, lower class people, actually anyone except some initiated bramhin male :) and how things have changed since then.. heart warming.. Thanks to Vivekananda and Theosophical soceity and all those movements which started about 150 years ago...and most recently internet and western interest in these things... foreign influence breaks bonds..
Om namo parabhraman om - pranic healing
Om purnamidam - I heard this in the closing of yoga class and loved it. I like the shanti mantra too..( from Vedas, kind of non religious) 
http://yoga108.org/pages/show/69-closing-mantras-of-yoga-class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTwtGu-XZBE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCZVm6slzE0


From childhood
Om asatoma sad gamaya - school prayer/Uncle...
Budham sharanam gachami - Uncle
Guru bramha -Uncle/Dad
Sahana vavatu -School prayer
Poojyaya raghavendraya -Dad
Ganesha mantra -
Vakra-Tunndda Maha-Kaaya Surya-Kotti Samaprabha
Nirvighnam Kuru Me Deva Sarva-Kaaryessu Sarvadaa


Shuklaambaradharam Vissnnum Shashivarnnam Caturbhujam 
Prasannavadanam Dhyaayet Sarvavighnopashaantaye 


Karagre vasate lakshmi.. Home. but these 3 never entered my thick head :D


Yakundendu tushara hara - school prayer. I din like this, it used to fill my heart with dread :( I guess I din like that school at all... Our Florence English school suited me much better. Our father in heaven :) Lords prayer.. apparently even that is a a very powerful mystic symbolism...


Wow! This post started off as something mystic.. but This is more like a nostalgia trip !!! :-)
Mantras are good, I wanted to find a mantra for each occasion but it turns out.. my uncle and dad and my family have taught me so many little things in my childhood. I feel misty eyed.. I love you uncle doctor bappa! he has touched our lives in so many ways... dad and uncle .. little tihngs they taugt us.
I remember I used to resent learning these as I got slightly older.. I used to run away and ignore.. :) but now when I read these I feel so good.. not about the mantra but about the care they took and the love that was behind all this :)


This makes me think of the comedian Dara O brien who says he is ethinic catholic even tho he is atheist.
exactly my sentiments.. I am ethinic hindu.. hindu culture is in me but I am not a religious hindu..I have lot of anger and hatred for some aspect of Hinduism but it is still in me.




awesome, I ran into these while looking for mantras..!Written by Ravana one of them is :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp9OwlYrEUY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5oGpRzlPO0&feature=related
New found  Om tare tuttare ture Svaha! Green Tara Mantra, chanted in chinese style. I loved this one too
http://www.greenmesg.org/mantras_slokas.php#Ganesha


This post is no way complete...I started out to research but now just emotional..lost the will to research.. 
To do
1) what really is the power of mantras?
2) What are Beeja mantra's?
When we were kids we used to say Hram Hreem Hrooom... pretending to mantravaadi's ( bad black magic people;) but this is chanted along with Surya Namaskara for additional benifit.
I have read a lot about beeja mantras - seed mantra! ? but I havent really figured what they are! they make the normal mantra more potent, but hram hreem are just chanted by themselves too? Om Btw is the Ultimate beeja mantra I suppose?
3) Wama mantras? ;-) Are there any? 
4) other Religion mantras? Chants are very common - Sufi - Dama Dum Mast Khalandar! Tora - is all about chanting right?


ps: I would love to see one post by my friend M about such things, that would be real technical/scientific and real vedic perspective on all this... it would be awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment