Pages

26 December 2023

Justice Sensitivity

https://medium.com/invisible-illness/adhders-justice-warriors-9cd2e20eca18


What is Justice Sensitivity?

According to Baumert & Schmitt, “justice-sensitive people’s information processing should be guided in a way that raises their probability of experiencing injustice compared with less justice-sensitive people,” and their “emotional reactions to injustice should be stronger the more justice is endorsed as a fundamental value.”

In other words, people who experience high justice sensitivity have a stronger tendency to notice and identify wrongdoing and have more intense cognitive, emotional, and behavioural reactions to perceived injustice.

Additionally, “justice-sensitive people should ruminate longer and more intensively about experienced injustice than less justice-sensitive people” and should have an “inclination to restore justice and undo injustice”.



 The link above goes on to wonder if neuro divergent - ADHD and Autistic people have a tendency towards being more justice sensitive
My friend shared this and wondered if I have this, First of all I felt good that someone understood me and some one thought about me and my behaviour. It feels very nice when someone gets you. Thank you friend. Yes! I am justice sensitive.

This explains a lot about me and my feelings and reactions in many situations, and also about Greta Thunberg. When I first read that she has asperges, I knew - Ah I may have something similar. At least I m borderline there. 
The best insight I got from this article was that everyone does not feel this way. It was eye opening. All my life I have felt like a lone warrior, Why dont other people care as much as me about fairness? Why are they not feeling angry? or intensely about injustice? Why are they being blatantly partial - even tho they are aware that they are being partial? This answers all these questions and help me accept neuro typical people as they are. 

Also there are lot of people who may not be ADHD/Autistic but be justice sensitive.  Gandhi ji! We dont know if he was neuro diverse or not but he was definitely very sensitive to injustice. Raja Ram mohan Roy - who opposed Sati and multiple marriages of men in 1800s. Nelson Mandela? - Yes all these people justice warriors who had these feelings infinitely stronger than me - so they took action against injustice. There is no reason to believe they were Neuro Diverse. 

Still knowing that justice sensitivity is more common in neuro diverse is interesting, It is interesting to realise that some of our values have roots in how our brain is wired.

No comments:

Post a Comment