Pages

12 May 2022

Aangan hi Teda tha!!

I have purchase so many painting and drawing instruction books in the past years.  I was not able to follow most of them to completion. I was really struggling. Many courses as well. I felt a little bad about it. I m not good enough to learn this may be? I am not determined enough may be and so on.

Now after a decade or something I have found this book -Water colour basics - Lets get started by Jack Reid and I realise - IT WAS NOT ME, IT WAS THEM!!! It was THEM! 

I dont know if every one has this tendency or its just me. I kind of blame myself in such situations. Now I m following the book , I m loving it.
Some books spent a time on how to hold the brush and how to select the paper until they bore u to death and then suddenly they do to paint this really complicated picture!!  Another one I have has pictures of intermediate stages of the painting and all the colours mapped out but if it try those steps nothing works.

This guy is like is starting from really basic stuff like paint pointy leaves with one stroke of brush, I have been painting for a decade and I couldn't do it! It was so much fun trying to master that - on news print.
Next was ok - now paint a flat wash! so basic and I didn't know. It took lot of tries to learn it. and now I do! and so proud! I just love love love this book.
It is kind of like at the perfect basic level at which I want the instructions to be! It suits me.

I realise it is much easier for artists to paint but really hard to teach others how to paint or draw. It is a rare skill. only some books and some teachers get it right. 

Lesson learnt - if you are not able to learn something blame the instructions! 
There is an Indian saying - Nach na jaane angan teda - Those who dont know to dance say the stage is tilted. Such a load of crap! :-D 

Moral of the story :  Trust in yourself, It is not possible for us to be bad at something - because GROWTH MINDSET! duh! :-)  The way it is being taught is wrong! 100%  Try in a different way. try a different teacher, try a slightly different skill and go from there.
I used to think I m crap and co-ordination and dance. Now I m pretty good ( If I say so myself! :-) ) So!


No comments:

Post a Comment